About Isle of Crete Rendezvous Labor Day Week
Crete-the southernmost island in Europe has “everything”! STI’s undiscovered, unspoiled European experience offers rugged adventure or sophisticated pleasure, your choice. Our local Cretan hosts provide an easy going, non commercialized vacation that STI members claim is the “best vacation ever”!
If this date is not convenient for you, our next departures are May 21 (Memorial Day), July 2, July 16, July 30 and August 13, 2019.
Join us for one of the best weeks of your life! STI members consistently claim “This was the best vacation in my life”. We mix and mingled with singles from all over the world and no matter the ages, everyone has a great time.
Our President, Tammy Weiler was blown away by the hospitality of this island gem in the Med, centered among Africa, Europe and the Middle East. It doesn’t get any more exotic! “The weather was perfect for enjoying the beautiful turquoise beaches (Falsarana now among my top 5 most beautiful beaches in the world), seafood from heaven, exciting hike, bike and scuba options, wine tasting, excellent nightlife and enough culture and history for the erudite single traveler.”
Our laid back week is casual and less structured with a mix of optional daily activities for you to custom design your vacation.
Our beautiful family owned hotel is ideal with incredible facilities including a private room for each guest, gourmet dining room, 2 swimming pools, an outdoor Jacuzzi and sun terraces with sun beds. No words can describe the warmth and hospitality that offers STI guests a safe and memorable holiday in Europe.
Inclusive Features of our Trip:
- 7 Nights PRIVATE, SINGLE OCCUPANCY accommodations in a DELUXE ROOM at an intimate family owned hotel, where you are known by your first name on the very first day
- Air Conditioning and In Room Safe (STI Only)
- 7 Continental Style Breakfasts and 6 (4 course) Dinners.
- Complimentary Wine and Coffee with Dinner (STI Only)
- Enjoy homemade Cretan cuisine, using mostly organics from the resort’s garden and the local village
- Tea and coffee making facilities in all rooms. Replenished daily
- Welcome Reception with Refreshments
- Cooking demonstration on Friday with Vassilis (Hotel Owner)!
- Greek Night with Live Music and Dancers (minimum numbers required and optional extra)
- Two pools and an outdoor Jacuzzi.
- Sun lounges and colorful gardens
- Airport Transfers
- Overnight Taxes at Hotel
- Taxi on Call (at your own expense)
- Bus stop outside of hotel (only 10 minutes to restaurants and nightlife).
- Provision of shared courtesy rooms on our day of departure
- WiFi and Internet Café Free of Charge
- Fresh Filtered Water available Free of Charge
- Complimentary Bottle of Olive Oil from the Gialamarakis Estate
Exclusive Singles Travel Features:
- PRIVATE, DELUXE, SINGLE OCCUPANCY ROOM for 7 Nights
- Air Conditioning and In Room Safe
- Round-trip Airport Transportation
- Welcome Refreshment
- Falarsana Beach & Sfinari Fish Lunch Tour
- Elafonissi Beach Boat Excursion with Light Lunch – SPECIAL INCLUSION ONLY FOR STI GUESTS !
- Expert and Professional Assistance
- Private and Secure Chat Reserved Exclusively for Members on Your Vacation
- Meet other single, like minded travelers who wish to socialize and make new, maybe even life long friends
Our local, all-inclusive, family run and operated hotel is equipped to welcome our members and manage their stay along with other single travelers who are at the resort during the same week.
Inclusive features are subject to revision at the discretion of STI. Ages listed are not meant as a restriction, but are simply used as a guideline. Singles Travel International does not guarantee the number of guests, ages or ratios.
Trip Starts in Crete, Tuesday, August 27, 2019
Trip Ends in Crete, Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Add Athens before or after Crete. Mix and match to customize your own vacation!
The weekly program of entertainment for us to enjoy is as follows and is included in your package. Program may vary on site and is at the discretion of the hotel staff. All your options will be presented to you on your first day and there is plenty of availability.
Included Features and Excursions:
Visit Falasarna and Sfinari (SPECIAL STI INCLUSION):the best beach on the island exclusively for our guests on Thursday. We’ll enjoy turquoise waters, soft pink sand and breathtaking views. There is also a long, fresh seafood lunch at a hidden beach Taverna where the fish is speared on the day.
Elafonissi Beach (SPECIAL STI INCLUSION): this hotel exclusive tour takes you to the stunning pink, sandy beach (voted one of the top ten in the world) at Elafonissi where you can walk across a shallow lagoon to Deer Island. A light lunch is provided and on the way back, we’ll stop at the tiny mountain village of Elos for goat’s milk ice cream.
Welcome Meeting & History Talk: We’ll find out more about the week’s activities, hotel, resort and the island. Crete has a long and fascinating 5,000 year history which covers the Minoan period, Hellenistic times, Roman era and Byzantine up to modern times. Over the centuries, Crete has been invaded by many countries mainly because of its strategic position in the then known world for the control of the eastern Mediterranean and the trade between three continents. This obviously had a tremendous impact on the islands traditions, way of life and character of the people.
Visit to Chania- “The Jewel of Crete”: After the Welcome Meeting on Wednesday morning, you may opt to take a bus into the old Venetian town of Chania to discover the greatest monument of the western Crete at your leisure (not a guided tour). Shop and dine at one of the many award winning restaurants and tavernas situated around the Venetian Harbour.
Cooking Demonstration: Join us in the kitchen on Friday afternoon. We’ll see, smell and taste what will be served for dinner. Learn how to make stuffed tomatoes, tzatziki and Cretan small cheese pies. Take home recipes to impress your friends at home and our host will send you home with a bottle of the family olive oil.
Vegetable Garden: We’ll visit the hotel’s vegetable garden (organic in transition). We’ll see for ourselves where the vegetables, eggs and chicken we enjoy at the hotel come from.
Snorkeling: Let’s go snorkeling! Located across from the hotel (wet suits and gear provided).
Optional Excursions (at your own expense, payable in the equivalent amount in Euros, cash) range from $30 to $60 US per trip:
- Wine tasting: We’ll enjoy wine and appetizer. Sip on the best Cretan and Greek wines. Did it, amazing!
- Scuba Diving in Chania at the 5 Star P.A.D.I. Center for experienced or beginner divers.
- Horseback Riding:Take an early morning beach ride and watch the sunrise.
- Samaria Gorge: walk the longest gorge in Europe at 17km! This is a real challenge and a must for hikers (walking boots/shoes recommended) but not for the faint hearted!
- Knossos Palace:Visit the lost world of the Minoans and the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion.
- Cycle the hills: Hire a cycle from the village to explore the areas beaches, lower hills and olive groves.
- Gramvousa Island and Balos Bay: Visit the Pirate Island of Gramvousa and walk up to the Venetian fortress. The boat then takes us to swim in the magnificent crystal blue waters of Balos Lagoon.
- Sunday Evening: In lieu of dinner at the hotel (not offered), we either go into Chania with our host and eat at an award winning restaurant whilst watching the sunset. Or, (subject to minimum numbers and consensus of the group) we enjoy a Greek Night at the hotel with live music, dancing and smashing of plates!
- Watercolor Painting: Take part in this relaxing two hour class on a Saturday morning in the hotel gardens.
- Santorini Day Cruise: A must do, one day trip to the volcanic island includes a guided tour of Oia and Thira with stunning views of the Caldera.*Note: Itinerary and activities are subject to change at the discretion of the Hotel without compensation. Singles Travel International is not responsible for the consequences of any changes.
Congratulations on making a reservation with Singles Travel International for your next vacation!
Complete your profile and post a message on the chat to say hello to your fellow travelers.
REVIEW the important information on the FAQ tab for this trip.
Say hello to your fellow travelers on the chat!
DON’T MISS OUT
Get the best deals on optional “Add-ons”. Review the Trip Options and make all reservations so you don’t miss out on any limited or time-sensitive offers.
A passport is required for US citizens and be sure to confirm that your passport is current and will be valid at least six months after your departure. If you do not have one or need a new one, contact the State Department Passport Office in your area immediately or visit their website.
Non US Citizens are responsible for verifying their own required documentation for this tour.
Your “Final Vacation Details & Meetup Information” including transportation and how to meet up with the group will be available on the YOUR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS button on the left navigation bar on the trip site, 21 days prior to trip start date.
Questions and comments after you have reserved your vacation are addressed promptly when you send a message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fast Facts & Information:
Area: 8259 sq km (3038 sq mi)
Religion: Eastern Orthodox (98 % of the population)
Electrical Current: 220V AC (50Hz)-US guests will need a converter and adapter
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
Highest Point: Timios Stavros (2456 m)
Crete is a southern islands in the Aegean, far away from the hustle and bustle of Athens and the affairs of the central government, making it a safe destination and demonstration free.
The trip begins in Crete on August 27, 2019 and ends in Crete on September 3, 2019. Therefore the trip is 7 nights/8 days. Add Athens to create a 10 day vacation!
A deposit is due at time of reservation. Refer to the Price and Options tab for the amount. Final payment is due in our office by April 29, 2019. A reminder will be emailed to you 14 days prior to due date and you may choose to pay your remaining balance, via PayPal, or call our office, with your payment details, to secure your reservation. If you make a reservation after April 29, 2019, full payment will be automatically charged at time of reservation and penalties will apply.
Yes. All cancellations must be made in writing to Singles Travel International and are subject to per person penalties as follows:
*Cancellations made beyond 120 days will qualify for a full refund less a $175 administration fee. Hotel reservations in Athens are non refundable.
*After April 29, 2019, any cancellations or “no-shows” – 100% penalty.
Air packages and air tickets are subject to cancellation policies imposed by the airlines.
You will be picked up at Chania Airport in Crete (CHQ) upon your arrival. Please provide your flight schedules so that transportation may be arranged.
If you plan to add a night in Athens before the week in Crete, add it with your reservation when you Book Now. To make the most of your stay in Athens, we recommend that you reserve the 5 p.m. flight on Aegean Air between Athens and Crete.
Singles Travel International is a vacation event company that plans singles events and markets our events at our expense to create a “singles only” experience. We do not allow guests to join the group unless the reservation has been made by STI. Our policy is firm for tours and cruises, as well as pre and post trip hotel stays. Members and friends that “show up” will not be allowed to participate without paying an equivalent fee to the rest of the group that made the reservation with STI. Your credit card on file will automatically be charged.
In order to accommodate singles from all over the world, our tours and cruises are priced as land/cruise only. Therefore, airfare is additional. Call us today, we have been arranging air travel for our members to Crete for years and are experts at finding the best rate!
We recommend flying into Chania Airport (CHQ) in Crete on August 27, 2019, and departing from Chania Airport (CHQ) on September 3, 2019. If your air schedule is routed via Athens, make sure to allow a minimum of 3 hours to connect.
Early morning arrivals on transatlantic flights from North America (US) usually mean a long layover in Athens. To make the most of your trip, we recommend that you stay 1 night in Athens before continuing to Crete. Add your reservation at the same time you book Crete and we’ll take care of it for you. The earlier the better for best rates.
If you do plan to add a night in Athens before the week in Crete, we recommend that you reserve the 5 p.m. flight on Aegean Air between Athens and Crete on August 27 so you’re able to have a leisurely breakfast and see the Acropolis! Take a taxi at 2:30 from our Athens hotel to catch your flight to Crete at 5:00. We’ll be waiting for you when you get to Crete to transfer you to the hotel, included in your package.
Airport transfers on the first and last days of the tour are complimentary for STI members. Please notify us 30 days prior to departure of your flight arrival and departure times. For arrivals and departures on any other day, add 45 Euros each way, payable direct to the driver (subject to change at any time).
Coming in early for our pre cruise stay in Athens? There are several methods of transportation in Athens based on your budget. Click here for a website dedicated to assisting visitors to Athens.
- Private transfer for $86 and up depending on hotel location.
- Taxi at the arrivals area for approximately 40-60€ depending on traffic, hotel location and time of day.
- Welcome Pick Ups for approximately 42€ – Click here to find our more.
- Train for approximately 7-10 € – train station is located at the airport but some walking and up and down stairs, walking stair cases to reach the station. Carry light baggage with wheels.
Our tour does not include international airfare, air tax, optional excursions, extra hotel nights before and after the tour and incidentals such as laundry and phone calls. Gratuities to hotel staff is suggested at a rate of $10 per day for all staff members combined. A 2% fee is added to your bill at check out for credit card payments for meals, drinks or other hotel services. American Express is not accepted. Only cash is accepted for payment of excursions and spa services.
** Optional Excursions (at your own expense, payable in the equivalent amount in Euros, cash) range from $30 to $60 US per trip. A complete agenda will be provided at a welcome meeting your first morning. You may book after the meeting and there is plenty of availability for all tours. **
We urge you to verify baggage restrictions with all your air carriers in advance. Carriers within Europe charge greater fees and if you over pack, you may end up paying a hefty bill up to several hundred Euros! Pack as lightly as possible, mixing and matching colors. Laundry facilities are available although quite expensive in Crete. For the budget traveler, we recommend that you bring along a small bag of powdered laundry detergent.
The currency used in Greece is the Euro. In Greece, cash is king and you may exchange dollars for Euros once in Greece. Although some shops accept credit cards, the best deals are garnered with cash. (Visa and Master only, American Express is NOT usually accepted).
We recommend that you bring $3-$500 in cash, based on your personal lifestyle, and/or be prepared so that you are able to do an ATM withdrawal once in Greece.
Exchange Rates: The exchange rate for the Euro fluctuates often. You may find the current exchange rates in the financial sections of newspapers and on the Internet. You may also find a number of websites by typing “foreign exchange rates” in your search engine. Two specific websites are: xe.com and money.cnn.com/markets/currencies.
Currency Exchange: Many locations, including our hotel, will accept major credit cards (except AX), but for incidentals and small vendors you will need some local currency. ATM machines will dispense local currency for internationally accepted ATM cards and/or credit cards. They are conveniently located at the Athens Airport, at the shop adjacent our hotel and in Chania.
You may exchange cash and traveler’s checks for local currencies at our hotel, banks and exchange bureaus. Banks offer the best rates, but beware, hours are limited.
Credit Cards: Your credit card will be accepted to settle your incidentals bill at our hotels and in major shops and restaurants. American Express is not widely accepted and our hotel accepts only Visa and Mastercard for hotel related charges. Optional tours must be paid in cash onsite, Euros only.
All guests are required to travel with a valid Passport that does not expire for at least 6 months from return date. No visas are required for US or Canadian citizens.
Non US Citizens are responsible for verifying their own required documentation for this tour.
Absolutely. But in this case, we have negotiated a great rate for your own room. We do offer to assist with roommate matches for Athens but roommates are not guaranteed.
Optional pre and post tour stays are not eligible for the guarantee. Chances are excellent that we’ll find you a match, but if no match found by 30 days prior to departure, member pays the single supplement.
Please contact your preferred carrier directly to make your reservation. If Singles Travel International issues a promotional economy fare, granting of frequent flyer credit is entirely at the airline’s discretion. If the flights are eligible, to ensure you earn frequent flyer credit from the airline, give your frequent flyer account number when you check in for your flights. In addition, save your boarding passes and the passenger receipt from your airline ticket. You may need to submit these to the airline (not to Singles Travel International) to claim any credit allowed.
Our hotel, a special place for singles, is located along the coast in the small town hamlet of Maleme, 18km west of Chania in western Crete. It has a total of 33 rooms in two wings, and STI has arranged for our guests to stay in one of the new, deluxe rooms with hair dryer, safe, ironing board, coffee/tea kettle.
There is a lot to do in Crete and much is near our hotel. The tennis courts and the beach are just across the road. Bus transportation to Chania is available for only 2.10 Euros each way and a mini train is adjacent to our hotel and will take us to various inland stops as well as places of interest including the lift to Plantanias village for shopping and fun. Within walking distance of the hotel, we find a selection of tavernas, bars, supermarkets, shops and jewelry shops.
There are 2 swimming pools and 1 outdoor Jacuzzi surrounded by spacious sun terraces with sun beds and umbrellas.
In the reception area, fast, efficient Internet facilities are available as well as Wi-Fi for a small charge. Laptops for hire during your stay, but must be pre booked. Please let us know at time of reservation if you require this service.
Our all-inclusive package includes breakfast and dinner. The hotel offers a wide variety of dishes including local specialties and snacks, which are available at any time of the day. All food is prepared on the spot for you. The majority of the raw foods are produced locally and delivered daily. All meals are prepared by mother Katerina, who is the quality assurance for homemade Cretan cuisine!
Most of the fresh vegetables are produced in our vegetable garden and some of the eggs and chicken come from the family’s farm.
The circular bar area is popular with guests and locals throughout the day and during the evening. It is very lively, especially after dinner. Our experience is that the hotel pool bar is a popular place and makes for a safe and fun night life experience.
As well as a wide range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, the bar also serves food from the kitchen. Sip your pre-dinner ouzo at the bar accompanied by other guests and make new friends. Be prepared to mix with the family and their circle of friends that come to the bar for a drink or two in the evenings, or to sample the freshly made pizzas.
Of course not. This is an all singles vacation. In addition, you will be pleased to find out that nearly 90% of our guests on every trip sign up and have never met anyone before joining the group. In 25 years, we have perfected the singles vacation experience. It is paramount that our guests meet each other right away and have opportunities to mingle every day.
Our “Baby Boomer” vacations cater to singles in their 50s and 60s but you will often meet singles ranging anywhere from 45-75. We generally have a ratio of 60/40, women to men. As a travel club, matchmaking is not our focus. Ages listed on our page are not restricted. They are simply used as a guideline. We offer an opportunity for single travelers to see the world in the company of other singles and do not guarantee ratios or ages.
We recommend that you meet the members of the STI Community online where you may view and interact with members via “Who’s Going” on every trip page. This is the best way to find out exactly who will be on your vacation.
Be prepared for sunshine! The average temperatures during the day are in the mid 80s with low humidity. Evening temperatures are in the mid 60s to low 70s.
Currently, most airlines will allow you to check two bags, weighing 50 pounds each, for a fee. In addition you may carry-on one bag plus a personal item such as a purse or briefcase. Please check with your air carrier for up-to-the minute regulations and fees for checked baggage.
NOTE: Aegean Air has a limit of 20 kilos (1 checked bag only) and 8 kilos for hand luggage for each flight regardless of your onward destination. Therefore, we recommend that you pack accordingly. Additional bags will incur a minimum of 2 Euros per kilo over the max and a second bag will cost 2 Euros per kilo. If hand luggage exceeds 8 kilos, it must be checked and the full amount will be charged as excess luggage. Please see the Aegean Air website for the latest information. STI is not responsible for any changes to information posted here.
This week is super relaxed, no formalities, but our singles dress up a little bit in the evenings! Sundresses and slacks with a polo shirt are often the attire you’ll see most often. Remember to bring comfortable shoes and a jacket for evenings, which may be cooler, mid 60s. Although casual attire is acceptable throughout our vacation, many guests dress up slightly for dinner. Don’t forget your god/goddess attire for Greek night!
Packing Tips: Take only what you need; don’t over pack. Save room for souvenirs and purchases. Pack flat and full to avoid wrinkling. Bring wardrobe basics; mix and match around one or two colors. Don’t pack anything valuable, fragile or perishable. Label your luggage with an outside tag, and place an identification card inside each suitcase.
Essential Items: We highly recommend that you bring the following items.
– A smile and open minded attitude
– A pair of shoes for outside restaurants (loafers, sandals, etc) and thick soled water shoes or flip flops for walks on rocky beaches.
– Hiking boots/trainers if planning to hike Samaria Gorge.
– Sundresses (ladies) and slacks and polo (gents) for evenings
– Your favorite DVDs, which you may want played during the evenings while guests are partying at the pool bar.
– Sunglasses, sun block, sun hat or visor.
– Collapsible umbrella (which can double as a sunshade parasol).
– Toiletries: all your daily essentials and a few washcloths (not supplied).
– Prescription medications: sufficient supply for the entire trip plus legible written prescription in case of loss. Keep medications in their original, labeled container. Always pack your medications in your carry-on bag!
– Eyeglasses, contacts, contact lens solution. You may want to bring along a written prescription for your eyewear in case of
– Over the counter medications: cold remedy, aspirin/pain reliever, antacid/stomach upset remedy, Band-Aids, anti-bacterial medication.
– Small, Swiss Army type utility knife. Remember to pack this in your checked luggage!
– Travel journal/notepad and reading material.
– Home address book for sending postcards. A useful tip to avoid bringing your entire address book is to pre-write names
and addresses of people to whom you want to send postcards on sheets of self-adhesive labels. It saves time and space
in your luggage.
– Small, basic sewing kit with a few extra buttons. Remember to pack scissors in your checked bag!
– Photography Equipment: Bring a sufficient supply of batteries.
– Since this is a beach vacation, don’t forget your swimsuit!
– Blue Guide Crete (7th edition) is the perfect companion if you are interested in the rich history of the island.
– Crete (Lonely Planet Regional Guides) has a very comprehensive general information section with over 100 pages of advice and information.
– Crete West: Rother Walking Guide by Gert Hirner / Jakob Murböck is an excellent guide offering 50 walks in West Crete.
– Flowers of Crete by John Fielding & Nicholas Turland – Kew Editions is THE book you MUST HAVE if you like flowers.
– The Island By Victoria Hislop is a well written romance novel set in Crete and follows the life of a modern woman tracing her roots, only to find out about the hidden secrets of her family and the life of the people banished to live on the island of Spinalonga, a leper colony off the coast of Crete.
Travel Insurance is available through Travel Guard and in addition to direct access immediately upon completing your purchase, you will receive a quote from Travel Guard regarding travel insurance after reserving your vacation. If you have any questions, Travel Guard professional, expert agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call us, if you have not received your quote within 3 days.
Your “Final Vacation Details & Meetup Information” including transportation and how to meet up with the group will be available on the YOUR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS button on the left navigation bar on the trip site, 14 days prior to trip start date.
Questions and comments after you have reserved your vacation are addressed promptly when you send a message to us at email@example.com.
Our office is open Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. In an emergency after hours, please contact Tammy Weiler at 815-715-6998.
All countries you will visit have laws against the purchase and export of certain items, including antiquities, national cultural property and certain animal products, especially endangered species (ivory, rhino horn, tortoise shell, coral, feathers, etc.). Additionally, the United States has laws prohibiting the import of certain items, which include many of the same things. You face having your purchase confiscated and/or heavy fines for exporting or importing prohibited items.
On return to the U.S., your baggage is subject to search by U.S. Customs. Currently, you are permitted to bring back $800 of goods duty free. Persons aged 21 or over may also bring in one liter of liquor and one carton of cigarettes. If you plan to purchase a lot of souvenirs or expensive items, it is important to retain all purchase receipts. However, please note that U.S. Customs may not accept a receipt as true cost if it seems unusually low for the estimated value of the item. You may access the regulations and restrictions governing US Customs on their official website, click here to learn more.